Monday, January 25, 2010

the perfect pizza for your winter couch potato

I must admit I occasionally have the tendency to overload on flavors. My last pizza had 4 types of cheeses, crushing the delicate crust into soggy mush. When I found this recipe, which promised to unload my kitchen of several forgotten ingredients, I worried this would be another case of gilding the lily. 

Fortunately for me, and the boy sharing the pizza, the flavors complemented each other instead of getting into a sloppy fight for my taste buds' attention. Like that other pizza. The bright acid is the perfect foil for the intense gorgonzola, already a little subdued from the mozzarella, and the acorn squash makes me feel virtuous for embracing my winter veggies. 

The pizza, or arguably flat bread, base turned wonderfully crispy, the mozzarella and gorgonzola barely blistered on top. Top that with the sweet and spicy acorn squash then finish with the lemony arugula. I must say it was the perfect pizza to make on one of those days so gray your only option is to stay in and work through your stock piled Netflix movies. Preferably with the cute boy of your choice. Javier Bardem in Vicky Christina Barcelona did the trick for
 me. 

Roasted Acorn Squash and Gorgonzola Pizza
adapted from Giada DeLaurentis

makes enough for about three people who are moderately hungry

1 1-pound acorn squash
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
salt & pepper
1 pound pizza dough
1 cup shredded mozzarella
2/3 cup crumbled gorgonzola
fat slice of lemon

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Next slice your acorn squash into 1/2 thick half moon slices. Discard seeds and innards. (or toast the seeds with cumin for a tasty snack) Toss with brown sugar, olive oil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Place on a foil lined cookie sheet and bake for about 20 minutes, until fork tender and delicious.

In the meantime, prepare your pizza. Roll the dough out on a flour dusted surface to about 12 inches diameter. Sprinkle with the cheeses and place on a cookie sheet or pizza stone. Once your acorn squash is out of the oven, toss the pizza in, still at 375.  Bake until the cheese blisters and the crust is golden, about 25 minutes. 

Top the pizza with the acorn squash (skins removed). Toss the arugula with a hefty squeeze of lemon, some salt and pepper, and place on pizza before serving. Eat. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi There Ali...I just came across your blog, and as someone who just moved from Chicago I am very famillar with that lovely city! Are you moving to this blog or will you continue to post on the "frugal foodies flight"? let me know as i would love to add you to my blogroll!
    -blair
    closingnotice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Ah my first comment, so exciting. Yes, I think I'm going to solely post on A Salted Youth now, a new year, a new blog and a renewed dedication. Thanks for reading, cant wait to check out your blog...

    :) Ali

    ReplyDelete