Tuesday, April 27, 2010

cantaloupe sorbet and my birthday

Glancing over my past posts, I have noticed a slight tendency towards decadence. I love writing about food, making and serving it to others, and I want every recipe posted here to be delicious. I want you to squeal with pleasure at the first bite. And to do that, I have given you creamy cheesy enchiladas, opulent pies, and comforting pastas.
This past week I turned 20. With my birthday, I completely let go of the pretence of healthy hedonism and totally bask in guilt free gluttony. So much good food. I wish I could bottle the chocolate filling on my birthday cake and smear it on toast for breakfast every morning. Although then I would have to give up the week's habit of brie and baguettes for breakfast...
Alas, I can not live on crusty bread and fatty cheeses alone. At least not with summer approaching. So I set out on a healthier path, a healthy dish in mind. Something I would still eagerly rush to post about, but something more spring-like: light, fresh, devoid of cheese. I was leaning towards something with quinoa, filled with veggies until I bought the most adorable trio of ripe cantaloupes, just begging to be made into sorbet. I know, I know, dessert isn't the lofty healthy ideal I was reaching for, but this is almost totally fruit! Baby steps. 
Well. Maybe there is a reason decadence is my go-to option. This sorbet isn't amazing. It is pretty good though, and very refreshing. I do think that in summer, with a more gutsy seasonal cantaloupe it could be superb. Or combined with some champagne for a slushie. Or as a granita with mint... For now, I will settle for healthy. 

Cantaloupe sorbet

-one ripe cantaloupe, seeded with rind trimmed off, cut into chunks
-3 Tbs lemon juice
-2 Tbs water
-1/4 cup sugar

In a blender or food processor, blend cantaloupe until totally smooth. In a small saucepan, or by briefly microwaving in a glass, combine the lemon juice, water, and sugar. Add to the cantaloupe mixture and blend in. Refrigerate for about an hour, or until very cold. Freeze in an ice cream maker. 

Or, for all of ya'll without ice cream makers (poor you.) here is the granita version.

No comments:

Post a Comment